Friday 2 December 2016

Ballachurry Reserve, 1st December 2016.

View through the shutter of some of the Mallards

I arrived at the Reserve on Thursday afternoon to find no less than 27 Mallard on the pond! (well, 25 + 2 x hybrids). This is very unusual for Ballachurry. I think the most I have seen there together before is probably 5 or 6.    SC209694.

I was there to help add safety netting to the smaller bridge and unfortunately had to put them up from the water in order to get the chicken wire and staples out of the tool shed.

There was also a Great Tit in the hawthorn sapling opposite the hide door  SC209694

My thanks to Ian Costain for giving up his afternoon to get this safety netting job done. We were rewarded by a magnificent sunset as we left the Reserve.

Hybrid duck with prominent white ring round eyes

Another hybrid duck
It was good to see children from the local Primary School enjoying a walk round the Reserve in the fresh air. 

As it was the first day of December I decided to clean the whiteboard in the Hide, so we can start afresh for this last month of the year. Before doing so I took a photo of the board. There was quite a variety of wildlife seen during October and November.
Click to enlarge.