Sunday 20 January 2019

Ballachurry Reserve, 17th January 2019

a lovely winter's day at Ballachurry Reserve

Two short visits to the Reserve on Thursday. In the morning I arrived just after ten o'clock and only had time for a quick walk round. Despite the sunshine the reserve seemed very quiet. Here is what I recorded:

Birds:

SC208694  Robin; 2 x Long Tailed Tit.
SC209695 Great Tit + another heard at the same time; Blue tit;
SC209694 Goldcrest; Wren; Robin; female Blackbird
SC209694 ( from hide) Chaffinch; juvenile Blackbird.
SC209695  2 x Chough flew over the reserve calling and landed in the adjoining field.

Other:

SC208694  3 or possibly 4 Gorse Shieldbugs together + 1 singleton
SC209693 Lawn daisies in flower
SC209694 Alder catkins
SC209694 Cultivated daffodils in bud peeping through the dead bracken


After lunch I was able to pay a slightly longer visit to the Reserve and recorded the following:

Birds:

SC209693  male Blackbird;
SC208694 4 x Great tit together; Blackbird
SC208695 Dunnock; 4 x Chaffinch (2 pairs seen together); male Blackbird;
SC209694  ( near Ginnie's Bench) Robin; female Blackbird;
SC209694 ( path junction) Robin;
SC209694 ( from hide) 2 x Wrens together; Wood Pigeon flying over; Water Rail; male Pheasant;
SC210694  Wren

Other:

SC210694 very small flies ( about 1 mm long) on wall near entrance

I was lucky to see the Water Rail. I was about to leave the Hide when I realised that there were ripples spreading out over the water in quick succession. These seemed to be emanating from a particular clump of rushes to the left of the hide. I guessed that there must be a bird disturbing the water at this point and watched for a long time. I had a fleeting glance of  a small dark bird going away from me from this clump of rushes to another. The ripples resumed but gradually seemed to move back along the bank towards me. I kept watching and after what seemed like a very long time the Water Rail emerged and swam a short distance into another clump of rushes on the bank. No time for a photo but unmistakably the Water Rail. It seemed to be quite a small one but whether this has any significance ( e.g. female? young one?) I do not know. I rarely see Water Rails swim. Usually they do short sprints across the weed or fly off with their legs trailing. I waited for a further interval but the ripples stopped and it did not emerge again.

Alder catkins

Lawn Daisy

Cultivated daffs in bud


at least 3 if not 4 Gorse Shieldbugs here

Robin near compost heap

fly only about 1mm long

Great Tit

same bird

another elsewhere

one of 2 Wrens near the pond

both were singing

red throat visible when singing

peace shattered as this chopper flew low over the reserve

last view of the reed bed before heading home for hot tea.