Thursday 11 March 2021

Ballachurry Reserve, 8th March 2021

My first March visit to Ballachurry Reserve

Monday's sunshine tempted me to pay my first visit to Ballachurry Reserve for my exercise since the new Lockdown began. In the 12 or so days since my last visit Spring had clearly arrived at the Reserve with daffodils everywhere, Hawthorn in leaf and even some starry Blackthorn blossom open in places. The paths were a little drier after a period without much rain but still plenty of mud and even standing water in places. I could also hear a Chiffchaff calling as I entered the Reserve but imagine my surprise to spot a Buzzard perched on a birch tree down near the bridges! This caused me a dilemma - should I look through binoculars first or take the photo first? I chose the binoculars. This was probably a mistake as it quickly flew off into nearby fir trees before I could organise the camera. It definitely landed in the trees but there was no sign of it by the time I reached a suitable vantage point. About an hour later I heard it calling and managed to spot it over a field near Ballakillowey but of course this was too far away for much of a picture. You can see the white wing patches though. As I had the reserve to myself for most of the afternoon I was able to walk round several times. At one point I did hear an excited young voice shout "Dad, I've found a duck!" followed by the sight of a Mallard making a hasty flying exit but the family headed off elsewhere  and our paths did not cross. Here is what I noted as I walked round.  

Birds:

SC210694 3 x Blackbird; Chiffchaff heard not seen; Wren.

SC209694  Long Tailed Tit; Kestrel flying over; 2 x Woodpigeon flying over; Grey Heron flying over; Magpie flying over; Dunnock.

SC208694 Buzzard; Great Tit; Chiffchaff; 2 x Goldfinch; Blue Tit; 3 x Chaffinch; Redwing; Robin; Great Tit; Wren;

SC209693 Chiffchaff; 2 x Mallard ( pair)

SC208695 Blue Tit; Blackbird; Goldfinch; 2 x female Chaffinch; 2 x Long-Tailed Tit

SC209695  4 x Goldfinch; 2 x Chaffinch; Blue Tit; Great Tit.

Other:

SC209695 7-spot Ladybird

SC 209695 Gorse Shieldbug

SC209694 3 x Gorse Shieldbug

SC209694 large cultivated Daffodils in flower; Celandines in flower;

SC208694 here and throughout reserve Hawthorn in leaf.

SC208694 and elsewhere Blackthorn in flower

SC209695 Honey Bee in gorse

SC209694 Copious amounts of Frogspawn

Our wood chip still awaits  a work party, docks have grown up through it, red as deprived of light



Blackthorn in flower near Hide

Blackthorn flowers

Goldfinch

Blue Tit

Chiffchaff in willows near stream

A good view of the wings - shorter than a Willow Warbler

it was spending its time between these willows

and the reed bed

looking for insects and sometimes flying into air to catch them

stream still very full even after a dry week

the walk through the willows


Hawthorn leaves open near the bridge

I took this photo of the Buzzard from just over the bridge

Cultivated daffs planted before the area was a Wildlife Reserve

now in full flower

Wild Celandines nearby

Dunnock

Lovely to see the fresh green leaves of Hawthorn

This view of the hide will vanish once the willows are in leaf

2 of the 3 Shieldbugs among the gorse flowers

and a 4th elsewhere

I noticed the 7-spot Ladybird while photographing the Shieldbug

 Blackbird along the Gorse Boundary

I think this is frogspawn among the weed

I think a Rabbit has been digging here

a composite shot of a Long-Tailed Tit working its way through a row of willows

I helped plant this row of willows several years ago now so it is very gratifying to see one of my favourite birds systematically working its way along them looking for insects.


Long Tailed Tit

Mallard Drake - Mrs. Duck is behind the tree trunk

3 Blackbirds flew into the ivy and 1 came back out to feed on the berries

it took one after another

obviously very tasty

you can see the stripped stalks


but still a few to go

starting to cloud over, so thoughts turn to home


a final view of the pond, visit over for today

Please click on photos to enlarge them