Monday 16 January 2023

Ballachurry Reserve, 16th January, 2023.

high water table in the meadow

   What better way to test whether my new wellies are waterproof than to walk round a wetland reserve! I'm pleased to report that I remained dry shod throughout my visit on Monday. Because of a prior engagement I didn't arrive at the reserve until midday but I walked round a couple of times and also spent time in the bird hide. I was joined by my husband for some of the visit so the list below is a joint effort:

Birds:

SC209694 Great Tit; Blackbird; female Chaffinch; Redwing;

SC209694 ( from bird hide) Moorhen; Woodpigeon; Robin;  Blue Tit; Great Tit; Blackbird; possible Blackcap?

SC208694  Blackbird x 2 

SC208695 male and female Chaffinch; Robin; Blue Tit.

SC210694 Jackdaw x 2; Rook x 2 

SC209693 male Chaffinch; Blackbird. 

Although a sunny day, the temperature was only 5 C.  I wondered where all last week's Goldfinches had gone but my husband tells me they were in the churchyard where the temperature was a little higher because it was sheltered from the cold wind by the trees. 

female Chaffinch

the same bird

and a male at the same location
 
Robin near the pond

fluffed up against the cold

Redwing on the boundary with Old School House

Moorhen

first I've seen here for many months

Great Tit seen from the hide

another male Chaffinch

 

could this be a Blackcap or is it a trick of the light?

 And the usual fixed point photos to show the season and the weather.........

the new pond

from various angles


the intended bee bank has a larger resident than a bee!

 











time to close the shutters and go home for a late lunch

An enjoyable lunch time visit to the Reserve

please click on the photos to enlarge them