Thursday, 8 October 2026

Ballachurry Reserve: Wednesday lunchtime, 7th October, 2026.

October at Ballachurry Reserve

  Wednesday  was a sunny, breezy day and I had planned to visit the Reserve round about my usual time in the morning. Unexpected commitments got in the way though, and I didn't start recording until 11.45.  I stayed till 13.15 but didn't see a great deal. There was work taking place on the Hide so I did no bird watching from there on this occasion, although I did see some Hawker dragonflies patrolling  in the sunshine.  There was a steady flow of other visitors through the reserve too, all tempted out by the lovely autumn weather.  So here is a very brief list of what I saw before going home for a late lunch:

Birds:

SC209694 Blackbird at the path junction; Robin heard not seen near the bird hide;  Robin among berries on Gorse Boundary; Robin heard not seen near the dragonfly pond; Wren near inlet stream; female Chaffinch on gorse boundary; 2x Woodpigeon  flying near the Gorse Boundary.

SC208694 female Blackcap in the apple trees; Buzzard overhead; Robin near the compost heap;  Wren flew away from boardwalk into low vegetation; Blackbird flew across. 

Butterflies:

SC208694 Speckled Wood. 

Other: 

SC209694 3 x Hawker dragonflies patrolling the main pond. 

SC209694 Hawker species Dragonfly flew in over pond, turned round and flew away again.

SC209694 2 x Pond Skater on Dragonfly pond  + several pond snails visible under the water.

SC2099169418  large toadstool growing at the side of the path. 

SC2099769397  Wrinkled Field Cap fungi growing in wood chip.

SC2085969496  Coconut Milkcap fungi  under the trees.

SC2089069502 Brown Rollrim fungus beside path.

SC2089069502 unidentified frilly fungi close to the Rollrim .

SC2089069511 Coconut Milkcap fungi under trees.

SC2089669508 Brown Rollrim fungi (previously reported on Blog)

SC2088869445 Pleated Inkcaps growing in woodchip. 

I'm afraid the bird photos this week are just a couple of record shots. 

Buzzard in a stoop

Robin among Hawthorn Berries

Pond Skater

unidentified fungi

they had wide set gills and were rather "frilly"
Coconut Milkcap with "milk" droplets near the top of the stem

I have not found them in this particular location before

The Pleated Inkcaps continue to pop up

This was a rather large, magnificent specimen

the Wrinkled Fieldcaps are still appearing in the wood chip

you can see the wrinkles on this specimen ( Mrs. Blogger has them too these days!)

I arrived rather later than usual

the usual view from the hide ramp.....

and through the shutters........


the sunlit meadow

I spotted the female Blackcap among those apples

there was some birdsong under the willows......

but apart from a Robin I didn't manage to spot them


 I'm heading for the boardwalk

no birds bathing today and no sign of last week's  Grey Wagtail

a blue sky view from the Boardwalk

shady under the ashes though

the gorse boundary was in sunshine

as was the dragonfly pond

I sat on the bench hoping to see Common Darters but they were absent today

back to the area near Ginnie's bench and I'm homeward bound

 Despite the lovely autumn weather I saw very little, especially compared with my visit last Wednesday but I enjoyed my couple of circuits round the Reserve nevertheless.  I also enjoyed some brief chats with fellow volunteers and birders who were also visiting the Reserve on Wednesday.

please click on photos to enlarge them 

And for the year of the Manx language,  Blein ny Gaelgey, 2026, here are a few of the species seen today:

  Birds Ushagyn: 

Robin Spittag; Wren Drean; Buzzard Shiragh; Blackcap  Bayrn Dhoo; 

Blackbird Lhon doo; Chaffinch Ushag y Chloau; Woodpigeon Calmane Keylley

Butterflies Foilleycanyn:

 Speckled Wood Breck ny Keylley