Wednesday 10 January 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, 5th January 2018


Ballachurry Reserve on Old Christmas Day

When I visited the Reserve on Tuesday I took away with me all the magazines from the Wildlife Magazine Exchange. The pile was getting sizeable but not looking too inviting , so I decided to sift through at home to see what could be done. To my surprise quite a few dated back to 2015, so I have donated these and some others from 2016 to the Hospice Shop in Port Erin. Do drop in and spend a few pence there if there is anything you would like to keep. The more pristine and up-to-date ones I took back to the hide on Friday afternoon on my way back from Port Erin. Of course I was tempted to take a walk round and also sit in the hide for a bit, so here is what I  noted on this unscheduled visit.

SC208694   ( Willows and compost area)Wren; Blackbird; 4 x Great Tit together; 4 x Blue Tit together; 2 x Chaffinch together
SC208694 ( boardwalk)  Blackbird; 2 x Wren together; Robin; Blue Tit.
SC209695 Robin
SC209694  ( Ginnie's bench area) Great Tit; Robin; 2 x Blackbird
SC209693 Robin
SC209694 ( path junction)  female Blackbird feeding on the ground; Robin; Wren; Great Tit;
SC209694 ( from Hide) male Blackbird; Great Tit;
SC208695 ( Beehive loop)  2 x Blue Tit together;Wren; 2 x Chaffinch together
SC209694 Flying over: 3 x Wood Pigeon

SC209694 Fungi in the path

I have obtained a spore print from these fungi
and will try to identify the species

I observed this Robin....

and the Robin observed me!

I have now sorted through a similar pile of  wildlife magazines at home and will be taking them down to the hide on my next visit. Do take them home to read in comfort by the fire, if you wish, before returning them for others to enjoy.

Today ( 10th January) is supposed to be sunny, so if some sunshine does materialise later I hope to visit the Reserve this afternoon.