Wednesday 4 December 2019

Ballachurry Reserve, 3rd December 2019.


December morning at Ballachurry
A lovely sunny morning for my first visit to Ballachurry of December. I didn't arrive until 11.30 but still spent nearly 2 hours there.  I didn't see a great deal, considering how long I was there, but there were a couple of highlights and the sunshine ensured a lovely visit.

Birds:

SC210694 Wren
SC209693 male Chaffinch; Robin heard but not seen
SC209694 Wren; Robin; Grey Wagtail working its way along the stream near the hide; 2 x Redwing in adjacent garden; Song Thrush; Blue Tit; male Chaffinch; female Chaffinch.
SC208694 Great Tit; female/ juvenile Blackbird;Robin x 2;Wren; Redwing briefly in boundary hedge.
SC208695  2 x male Chaffinch chasing insects in the air then returning to tree; Wren; female Blackbird;
SC209695  3 x Woodpigeon; male Blackbird;

Other:

SC210694  Stinking Iris seeds making bright splash
SC210694  Numerous woodlice inside noticeboard glass
SC210694  Flies on ivy flowers as previous visit.
SC208694   Tawny Funnel fungus under trees

female chaffinch

one of two male Chaffinches which were flying erratically after
flies, then returning to the their perch.

Robin

Stinking Iris

Tawny Funnel

Woodlice




the cat must have slid down from the tool shed roof!

we may have tomato plants at Ballachurry next year
as someone had lobbed both red and green ones over the
gate into the reserve! 


I think I am going to send my camera back to Canon for service -I've thought for some time that the autofocus has been playing up. I had a wonderful opportunity to photograph the Grey Wagtail - it really posed for me - but every single shot was blurred! I struggled with the other bird photos too and none are crisp. The best shot is the wood lice and that one was taken with my mobile phone! Sigh.

Click to enlarge the photos  but they are a bit fuzzy again.