Wednesday 27 November 2019

Ballachurry Reserve, 27th November 2019.

an unexpected blue-sky day!

We have had seemingly endless days of either rain or gloom lately. Today's forecast was for cloudy skies and showers so it was with some surprise I suddenly noticed a sunbeam streaming through the window at 9.30 this morning! Looking out I could actually see blue sky so I immediately changed my plans, grabbed my binoculars, camera and notebook and headed down to Ballachurry, arriving round about 10 o'clock. I was not surprised to find it living up to its Wetlands name and definitely needed my wellies! Here is what I recorded:

Birds:

SC209694    2 x Chaffinch; male  & female/juvenile Blackbird; Robin; Song Thrush.
SC209694 ( from hide) male and female/ juvenile Blackbirds taking Rosehips; Robin; Wren; Rook; Magpie; Pheasant heard but not seen.
SC209693  Wren; Robin.
SC208694  male Blackbird; Robin; Great Tit;  Sparrowhawk kill;
SC208695 Wren; Blackbird.
SC209695 male and female/ juvenile Blackbirds; male Chaffinch.

Other:

SC209694 Harts Tongue fern and what is probably Stinking Iris
SC209693 Catkins on Hazels
SC210694 Honey bees on ivy flowers.
SC210 694 unidentified flies on ivy flowers + Yellow Dung Flies.
SC209694 I found my path barred by a tiny spider crossing on a silken thread from one side to the other. I ducked underneath and took a photo, see below.

size of a money spider, could it be.....a money spider? 

possibly a new Stinking Iris plant in the ditch

Harts tongue fern in the ditch

this year's Hazelnuts have fallen but
the new catkins are there already

all that now remains of the Hazelnut crop

we are once more losing the water to weed
action required!


sunshine picking out the reeds beautifully

beautiful seed heads

meadow is wetter than ever
Green bottle fly - one of many flies in the ivy
All part of the food chain, of course

Blackbird was taking the Rosehips
Click on photos to enlarge them