Saturday 16 May 2020

Ballachurry Reserve, 25th April 2020.

Ginnie's bench basking in the sunshine
 My final visit to the reserve in April was on a sunny Saturday afternoon. The visit was unplanned but my husband had called in that morning and reported hearing a Sedge Warbler so I decided  at short notice to head down there for my exercise in the hope of seeing or at least hearing it for myself. I was not disappointed and had the reserve all to myself so social distancing was not a problem. The first thing I noticed was that the grass had been cut following the recent relaxation of the rules concerning horticultural contractors and gardeners. Thanks once more to Rushen Commissioners for arranging this.  Here is what I recorded:


Birds:

SC210694  Chiffchaff heard but not seen
SC209693 Chaffinch
SC209694 Pheasant heard but not seen; 2 x Great Tit; Woodpigeon; Chiffchaff heard but not seen; Moorhen on pond; Sedge Warbler heard near path junction and briefest glimpse;Chaffinch
SC208694 Robin; Great Tit; Willow Warbler; Sedge Warbler near the boardwalk
SC208695 Chaffinch; Chiffchaff heard not seen;
SC210694 male Blackcap
SC209693 Willow Warbler

Other:

SC209693 male Orange tip butterfly
SC209694 male Orange Tip near hide + unidentified white
SC209695 3 x Gorse Shieldbugs;  Small Tortoiseshell butterfly ; male Orange Tip Butterfly
Sc209694  Gorse Shieldbug;  4 x male Orange Tips seen together; Peacock butterfly;
 SC210694 male Orange Tip
SC208695 Noon Flies on Ash trunks and Rowan trees in blossom
SC208694   Bumblebees and Hoverflies throughout reserve


Willow Warbler


 While there I marked the damaged bridge with tape


and likewise the boardwalk, to draw attention to the hazard

Sedge Warbler

Moorhen

Cuckoo Flowers, also known as Ladysmock

Stitchwort in the damp meadow

Rowan tree in blossom

Red Campion


Small Tortoiseshell

Peacock butterfly

I was trying to take the bumblebee on the blossom!






Reserve looking very lush at present

in whichever direction you look

Hemlock Water Dropwort almost obscuring the stream

freshly mown grass near the Bowman bench

flowers on the Ash tree

Gorse Shieldbug

Honeybee on dandelion

looking back towards the road - not a soul in sight

Hogweed in flower on the  gorse boundary

Noon Fly on Ash trunk

40 shades of green?

Water level very low in pond after one of the driest Aprils on record


Shortly after my visit Janet and Guy Thompson kindly repaired the damaged bridge and boardwalk. Grateful thanks to them both!

seems we had had some ducklings earlier in the month

I could hear a  hide shutter banging in the wind so ventured in to close it taking suitable precautions for my hands. I was interested to see what others had been recording during the month.

Apologies for the late posting of this visit.

Clicking on the photos enlarges them