Wednesday 10 June 2020

Ladybird P.S.

Having encouraged you all to go out looking for Ladybirds and their Larvae/ Pupae  I thought I should set a good example and take a look in my own garden. I'm so glad I did! I found no less than 9 x 7-spots and several larvae too. It's clearly the right time for looking for Ladybirds!

Tip: don't just walk round and hope for the best! Stop periodically and examine the vegetation in front of you intently. Then take an even closer look. Where you find one there well may be others nearby.
Here are just a couple of photos that I took with my mobile phone.
7-spot on blade of grass

7-spot Larva nearby
And here's a video of an active larva. Click the square box bottom right to make it full screen. Click Esc to return to normal size.

I visited Ballachurry Reserve last Monday and saw several larvae there too as well as one adult 7-spot, so my next post will be about that visit.

Remember that clicking on the two photos will enlarge them