Monday 28 December 2020

Ballachurry Reserve, incidental report.

just a faint rainbow over the local hills

  I checked round the Reserve this morning following our battering by Storm Bella at the week-end.  I'm glad to say there was no obvious damage. However, I did spot that one of our wheelbarrows was missing. Fortunately, I found it neatly parked outside the bird hide. Unfortunately though, someone has seen fit to remove the No Smoking notice from inside the hide. It reminded me rather of how toddlers sometimes cover their eyes thinking no one can then see them - removal of the notice does not mean that smoking is somehow permitted! Fortunately we have an unlimited supply of these notices, so it can be replaced indefinitely.  Although I arrived in sunshine a few drops of rain alerted me to an imminent change in the weather and the appearance of a rainbow over the Bradda hills had me turning round and retracing my steps to the hide. I was just in time as there was quite a sharp shower. The reserve seemed quite quiet but I noted the following birds as I walked round:

Birds: 

SC209693   Robin; Wren; male and female Blackbirds

SC209694 2 x Blackbird; Wren ( from Hide & also near Ginny's bench)  Blue Tit.

SC208694 Blue Tit; Great Tit; Wren; Robin; Chaffinch; female Blackbird.

SC209695 Blackbird; Goldcrest; 2 x Blue Tit;  Great Tit; 

SC208695 Blue Tit 

Relieved to see our barrow  outside the hide

I set off round the reserve through the damp meadow

I spotted the rainbow as the drops began to fall

I reached the hide in the nick of time

after the shower everything was dripping with raindrops

skies remained gloomy....

....and wildlife scarce

a distant view of a Wren near Ginny's bench

and a Robin fluffed up against the cold near the compost heap

I'm not sure whether I'll be back before the end of the month but a little sunshine might just tempt me to pay another visit!

Please click on photos to enlarge them