Thursday 4 November 2021

Ballachurry Reserve, 2nd November 2021.

Early November at Ballachurry Reserve

  Seize the day! I hadn't planned to visit the reserve until later in the week but the sun was shining on Tuesday morning so I decided to make my first visit of November straight away. The sunshine didn't last but I still had a very enjoyable visit. But first of all I had work to do. My earlier attempts to tape off the bridge had not survived the recent stormy weather so this time I took a couple of posts and a lump hammer with me to do the job properly. It was not a very arduous task given how wet and soft the ground is at present so it wasn't long before I collected my binoculars, camera and note book from the car and started recording. Here is what I saw:

Birds:

SC209694 a solitary Redwing perched right on top of a fir tree in the garden of Old School House. 

SC208695 I put up a Jack Snipe from the old beehive loop. I must have been standing by it for some time  ( looking at the fungi) before it suddenly decided to fly off.

SC209693 5 x Siskins taking Alder seeds;  Goldfinch also taking  seeds; Robin heard not seen; 

SC209694 ( hide) Blackbird; Wren; Robin heard not seen; Water Rail heard not seen.

SC209694  ( elsewhere) Blackbird; Robin; Wren.

SC210694   Goldfinch x 2

SC208694   Wren; Blackbird; Dunnock on tape on bridge; Robin seen in 2 different locations;Magpie flying over; large mixed flock of Siskin and Goldfinch

 Other: 

SC208694  several Funnel toadstools round base of compost heap

SC210694 Clump of small toadstools near the gate

SC208694 another large Pinkgill toadstool on wood chip path.

SC208695 Still Deceiver fungi on the old beehive loop.

SC208693 unidentified  brown toadstools in grass close to path.

SC208694 still a few Wood Pinkgills under the willows

SC208694 6 x Noon Flies on laminated notice. 

SC208694 among stacked rotten timber : many worms, wood lice, millipedes and a large spider.



Siskins were taking seeds from the Alder cones

a tasty snack for this male Siskin

they are very acrobatic - they can hang right upside down to feed

the first time I saw them was near the entrance

but  later they were near the compost heap over the bridge
 
looking more like sleeping bats than feeding Siskins!

they were sharing the bounty with Goldfinches

I thought there were about  5 birds in the tree but then something put them all up and about 20 birds flew out of the tree towards me - a mixture of Siskins and Goldfinches.


Wren

one of many Robins on the Reserve

this one was near the hide

the Redwing in Old School House garden

 
 Dunnock defying the bridge closure!

a patient photographer in the Hide - will the Water Rail show?

the wonky bridge sealed right off

as seen from the opposite direction

 water on the Reserve has subsided a little, but the area is still flooded

I spotted these fungi growing round the base of the compost heap

the deep indentation suggests they may be Funnels

the very decurrent gills also suggest this - seeking ID

fungi near the gate are quite different - also seeking ID

several had snapped off revealing the gills

elsewhere there is still an occasional Inkcap


this Pinkgill had fallen over but I stood it up again for the photo

a good view of the pinkish gills


the smaller Wood Pinkgills under the willows are going over now


every time I passed the sign there were Noon Flies sunbathing on it
the usual view from the ramp - sky clouding over

this is the path that looked like a stream last week

and this really is the stream which runs into the reed bed

the stream still brimful - I checked out the wood pile


and found it had been colonised already by worms


there were lots of them


millipedes too + woodlice and spiders


I saw no acorns this year, only "oak apples" caused by a wasp

a last view through the reeds before going home

please click on photos to enlarge them