Thursday 25 November 2021

Ballachurry Reserve, incidental reports 22nd and 24th November 2021.

 I had to call in briefly at the Reserve on Monday so spent a few minutes in the hide and noted the following:

 SC209694 

Wren x 2 together

Male Blackbird

 Heron flying over

Hooded Crow x 2 in churchyard trees

 Long tailed tits heard but not seen

I  took this photo of the funnel fungus which is bigger each time I see it!

the pound coin gives some idea of scale

I was also interested to see how the work on the boardwalk preparation was progressing.  Many thanks to all those volunteers who helped Ian and Peter move the hardcore, slabs and timber on Saturday and made a start on the work itself. Especial thanks to Ian and Peter, of course, for all the hours they are putting in on this. 

hardcore in

waiting for concrete next time

 recycled slabs will be used as bases for the oak sleepers

there seemed to be slabs everywhere! Note the uncut meadow


 

Karen's photo of the work party on 20.11.21.

Karen's photo of their tea break that morning

I returned yesterday morning (in the rain) to drop something off at the hide for the Reserves Officer who was hoping to cut the meadow that morning. I risked getting the phone camera wet to take these pictures of the concrete now covering the hardcore.

wooden shuttering in place while the concrete sets

a firm base constructed for those heavy slabs

Ian and Peter will be back on Thursday for the next stage of this job

 Several text messages then flew back and forth between myself and the Reserves Officer, Tricia,  during the course of the morning, updating her on the weather down south. I'm glad to say that the rain eventually stopped and she and some of her "Muckers" were able to cut the meadow.  But more of that in my next post!

 My thanks to Karen for the photos of the Work Party on 20th November which I did not attend myself. 

 Please click on photos to enlarge them