Saturday 4 December 2021

Ballachurry Reserve, 2nd December, 2021

 

Early December at Ballachurry Reserve.

 Thursday was the best day of the week in terms of predicted weather so I set off  with high hopes. My spirits were somewhat dampened though by the sight of a squashed hedgehog  in the road just outside the reserve. Not a very auspicious start but then a Wren came along the wall and watched me change into my wellies before entering the Reserve, so that cheered me up a bit.  Here is what I saw:

Just Outside Reserve : 

SC210694 dead Hedgehog  in the road; Wren.

SC210694  Sparrowhawk flying along the road  from Sloc roundabout about 2 feet off the ground before hopping over the wall into the Ballakilley land. Followed by some loud squawks, so it must have been a successful attack. 

SC209695 inside the private orchard - Herring Gull "paddling" the grass and pulling out worms

Within the Reserve:

Birds:

 SC209693 Robin heard not seen; Great Tit heard not seen; 

SC208694 Wren;  Robin seen three times ( once in meadow; once by boardwalk bridge; once by compost heap.

SC208694  A Goldfinch in a gorse bush caused me some concern. I was looking for invertebrates in the gorse and suddenly found my face about 12" inches from a Goldfinch, which didn't fly away.  I retreated immediately and took the photo from the bridge. When I returned later it had gone. Is it's beak deformed or is it simply the camera angle?

SC209695 female Blackbird; Great Tit; Blue Tit;  male and female Chaffinches; Goldfinch;

SC209694  Blackbird heard not seen; Wren;

SC210694 male and female Blackbirds; Wren

Other:

SC209693  Unidentified fungi on path

SC209694 unidentified fungi on path near hide

Chaffinch

the Goldfinch that caused me some concern

 Herring Gull luring up the worms by mimicking rain patter with its feet

Robin

unidentified fungi near the hide


fungi to be identified

growing in the woodchip path

the puddles were back at the boardwalk site

making life difficult for Ian who had arrived to do some work

he did manage to get some hardcore down though

usual view from the ramp

water table high in the meadow area -it was cut just in time!

a farewell glance at the hide

Not a great deal about to record, but an enjoyable morning nonetheless.

please click on photos to enlarge them