Saturday 29 January 2022

Ballachurry Reserve, 26th January 2022.

late January, Ballachurry Reserve

  On Wednesday I headed down to Ballachurry soon after ten. It was a sunny morning and as I got out of my car I could already hear a Song Thrush singing away inside the Reserve. Then a flutter of wings announced the arrival of a Robin who watched with interest from the adjacent willow as I changed into my wellies. It kept up a commentary on what I was doing until I walked off into the Reserve. An excellent welcome, I thought.  Here is what I recorded:

Birds:

SC210694 Robin;  2 x Jackdaw in adjacent garden.

SC209694 Song Thrush in full voice; Great Tit; male Blackbird;

SC208694 Blue Tit; Woodpigeon flying over; 2 x Wren together near compost heap; male Chaffinch.

SC208695 Great Tit; 2 x Chaffinch;

SC209694 ( hide)  2 x Goldfinch;   female Blackbird;  4 x Great Tit together; 2 x Chaffinch;  Song Thrush; Wren; Dunnock;   2 x Blue Tit; 

SC209695 Blue Tit.

Other:

SC209694 the Celandines are open in the ditch

SC209693 Unidentified fungus along the path.

SC209694 Unidentified earthworm

SC208694 Hedgehog and Heron footprints in the mud. 

biro for scale

the mild weather has brought hedgehogs out of hibernation

close up of the hedgehog prints

we think these are Heron footprints

Great Tit fluffed up against the cold

Jackdaws in neighbouring trees

 A ringed Blue Tit! From the December ringing session perhaps?

the Song Thrush resolutely turned its back while singing

this one near the Hide was more cooperative.

earthworm

 There were other signs of spring on the Reserve as well as the increasing birdsong


Sunny Celandines

lengthening Catkins on the Hazels

Blossom buds on the Blackthorn


work will be able to resume if water levels continue to fall

the bright yellow lichen stands out in the sunshine on the Hawthorn tree

cloud starting to build up over the hills

Part way through the morning I was joined by my husband who had come to help me check the pond levels - important once the water goes in. They were all pretty much spot on or very close, so easily adjusted.

we already have some water in the deepest part of the pond!

level almost perfect

 

sky clouding over - time to go home




please click on photos to enlarge them