Sunday 1 May 2022

Ballachurry Reserve, 25th April, 2022. Incidental report.

no blue sky behind the boundary Aspens today

 Monday was forecast to be dry but cloudy so as I drove down the road towards Ballachurry I was alarmed to see spots of rain on the windscreen. Fortunately by the time I arrived at the Reserve it had stopped again so I didn't get wet when dealing with the small mammal traps. Once these were checked I collected a pair of shears from the car to cut back the Hemlock Water Dropwort which was seriously encroaching on the bridge . While busy with this job I suddenly heard a Sedge Warbler  and glanced up to see it perched in the reeds. It quickly vanished but once my job was done and the shears safely stowed back in the car  I returned to the bridge and waited patiently - all eyes and ears! My patience was eventually rewarded as you will will see below. Here is what I recorded during the next couple of hours:

Birds: 

SC208694 Sedge Warbler in reed bed. Woodpigeon heard not seen; Wren; Robin; Chaffinch; Chiffchaff heard not seen; male Pheasant; male Blackbird; Mallard flying over.

SC209694  Sedge Warbler seen from hide in Reed bed. Reed Bunting seen from hide in reeds;  single male Blackbird &  a pair of Blackbirds flying together;Willow Warbler on roof of hide and also heard elsewhere;  Chiffchaff heard not seen; Wren; 2 x Goldfinch; 2 x Swallow over pond; 3 x Woodpigeon; pair of Mallard; Moorhen; Robin;

SC209693 Robin

SC210694 Robin; male Blackbird;  Woodpigeon heard not seen; Coal Tit.

Other:

SC209693 Hare's foot Inkcap fungi in path

 SC208694 Hare's foot Inkcap fungi in path

male Chaffinch in gorse bush

my first  view of the Sedge Warbler!

patience rewarded!

Sedge Warbler warbling

I'm always so pleased when they come back year on year to Ballachurry

lovely view of Coal Tit for the second time in a week

this time it was close to the entrance gate

clearly finding insects to eat

lovely smart little birds

Goldfinch

and another elsewhere

today the Mallards were almost hidden in the vegetation

the Moorhen was back in residence

a Woodpigeon nested in this tree last year.....

Robin keeping an eye on me


and another elsewhere


this one was down near the boardwalk area

Wren in the Hawthorn


so pleased to see a second Sedge Warbler in the other reed bed

my first view of the Reed Bunting

time too zoom in for a closer look

this one is a male

no sign of his mate

such handsome birds

Hare's Foot Inkcaps
the  hide from where I saw so much today


still cloudy and time to go home

 Monday's visit proved to be the best of the week in terms of the birds I saw. It only goes to show that  glorious sunshine isn't a prerequisite for visits to the Reserve. 

P.S. There were no footprints in the hedgehog tunnels overnight. 

please click on photos to enlarge them