Monday 2 May 2022

Ballachurry Reserve, 27th April, 2022. Incidental Report.

 

the damp meadow with Hawthorn thicket in background
 

Dawn, MWT's Education Officer, had kindly invited me to join her and the VI Form students on Wednesday when the small mammal traps would finally be checked for "residents". Unfortunately I was unable to accept as we already had a walk planned. In fact, I received a text message on the summit of Bradda Hill (from where the bird hide is visible through binoculars!) from Dawn to say the traps were empty this year, which must have been a disappointment for the students.  There were plans afoot to erect a Malaise Trap  during the students' visit in order to monitor what flies are present on the reserve. After lunch I thought I would pay a quick visit to Ballachurry to take a photo of it in anticipation of hearing later in the week what was caught. To my surprise Dawn was still there loading equipment into her van. Unfortunately they had run out of time for the Malaise Trap, so that will be for another occasion. It was interesting to hear about the morning's visit though while lending a hand to load the van. 

I didn't stay much longer but did record the following:

Birds:

 SC208694 female Blackbird; Chiffchaff heard not seen

SC208695 Wren; Chiffchaff.

SC209694 Wren; Willow Warbler. 

Other:

SC209695 Gorse Shieldbug eggs on gorse flowers + 5 Gorse Shieldbugs

SC209695 possible Anthomyiidae Fly and Spider

possibly an Anthomyiidae species fly, gorse Shieldbug eggs and a tiny spider tucked in beneath them

 

close-up of the eggs - I didn't spot the spider when taking the photo


I counted 5 Gorse Shieldbugs and photographed all of them





Ground Ivy flowering under the willows

This was my last visit to the Reserve during April. I look forward to seeing what May brings.

With thanks to Steve Crellin for help with IDs

please click on photos to enlarge them