Wednesday 1 February 2023

Ballachurry Reserve, 31st January, 2023.

 a hint of blue coming my way

   I thought  my visits to the Reserve were over
for January but then the weather forecast made Tuesday sound like my best opportunity of the week. When the sun came out I set off from home, not arriving until about 10.30.  By the time I was togged up in wellies and woolly hat the sun had vanished, of course, but there were odd sunny intervals from time to time. There was a strong, westerly wind making it feel colder than the thermometer's  9 degrees so my expectations were not too high.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed my morning and took a few photos. Here is what I recorded:

Birds:

SC209694 ( bird hide) 4 x Mallard ( 2 pairs) 2 x Teal which saw me coming and flew away before I could reach the hide; Moorhen; 6 x Goldfinch; Blue Tit; Woodpigeon x 2; male Chaffinch. Water Rail heard 3 times.

SC209694 ( elsewhere) 2 x Great Tit; Chaffinch heard not seen; Heron flying over; Robin;

SC209695 Blue Tit; Chaffinch heard not seen; 10 x Goldfinch flying over;

SC209693 Woodpigeon flying over; Redwing.

SC208694 9 x Greenfinch flying over ( with thanks to David Kelly for spotting/identifying them); Blackbird; male Chaffinch.

SC210694 Robin heard; 2 x Jackdaws on chimney pots of Old School House next door.

Other:

SC208694 a few new Wood Blewits. 

SC208694 and SC209694 Hawthorns in leaf

 one of two female Mallards

and one of two Drakes
all four Mallards together

the Moorhen made a very brief appearance

one of several Goldfinches

Great Tit

Woodpigeon

spot the Redwing?

Wood Blewits pushing through

small Hawthorn in full leaf already!

garden escape Snowflakes blooming

guano on the ivy is testimony to birds roosting above at night

more guano on the nearby tree

all quiet at the new pond

 the water level has gone down slightly

usual view from the hide ramp

and from the boardwalk

work in progress?

ah, yes indeed

one of the ramps now under construction

final view of the January meadow


What will February bring?

 

please click on photos to enlarge them