Thursday 21 April 2016

Ballachurry Reserve, 20th & 21st April 2016

Driving past Ballachurry Reserve on Wednesday, I decided to make a brief visit to see if I could spot the Sedge Warbler, but there was no sight nor sound of it. I thought it must have moved on. However, my husband called in there today and heard no less than 2 Sedge Warblers in different parts of the Reserve. So they have arrived earlier than usual this year.

Whilst my visit on Wednesday was not meant to be an "official recording" visit, I couldn't help but notice the following....

SC210694 Robin sitting on the roof of the Notice Board.
SC209694 Great Tit. I also saw a Great Tit going in and out of the nest box on the Hide, which is good news. As far as I am aware it has only been used by wasps in the past.
SC208694 Male Pheasant flew in
SC209695 the area round the Orchard entrance was very busy with 2 x male Chaffinches, Great Tit, 3 x Goldfinches; Blue Tit and Wren.

There was some sort of raptor circling over the adjacent field. I only managed to get very bad,blurry photos of it but nevertheless Neil Morris has kindly been able to identify it as a Sparrowhawk for me. I'm more used to seeing them hop over hedges than circle up in the sky, so this was interesting behaviour.

There was a Green Veined White butterfly in the old beehive corner ( SC208695) and a Small Tortoiseshell near the  entrance SC210694

Notes:


Whilst there I collected up quite a lot of wind-blown litter, mostly from the ditches and also tried to bury a dead Longtail, found  in the ditch. I was concerned that if it had been poisoned it might be taken as carrion and poison something else in turn. 

My husband noted the following while there today
Sedge Warblers, Blackcap in Old School House trees, several Willow Warblers, Coal Tit, + the usual "garden birds".
He saw a Small Tortoiseshell near the noticeboard and an unidentified White butterfly flying. 
Welcoming Robin

Steve & Gill, this one is for you! Sparrowhawk.

Chaffinch

Small Tortoiseshell in Spanish bluebells

Small Tortoiseshell in nettles (its caterpillar food plant) 

Wren