Wednesday 25 October 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 23rd October 2017

Following storms Ophelia and Brian, all the trees now have brown
crispy leaves.
The purpose of my visit to the Reserve on Monday was to see whether Ballachurry had sustained any damage during last week's two storms, Ophelia and Brian. I'm pleased to report that all the man-made structures were still standing. Unfortunately 3 Birch trees had lost branches and there was also some minor damage to willows. The worst willow casualty is best seen from the road. It has split in two, as they often do, but there is a good chance it will regenerate from where it has fallen.

We'll address the tree problems at the next Work Party which has just been scheduled for 18th November.

Many more birds about suddenly - reports of Redwings, Goldfinches  etc. in good numbers on the white board in the Hide.  Having seen several small flocks of winter thrushes  heading south towards the Calf from home during the morning I was looking out for them at Ballachurry. I saw a large flock pass over the reserve and head off directly for where I live (I would have had a much better view of them from home!) before turning south and disappearing over Bradda.  Another large flock of birds which from photos I can see are Wood Pigeons had their circling pattern suddenly disrupted and they flew off in all directions. I soon saw why as a sparrow hawk came flying past me at quite low level. It hadn't caught anything and I saw it again later flying across an adjacent field about 2 feet from the ground. The pigeon flock had re-formed and was flying above in the opposite direction. Another surprise attack was imminent, I imagine. Whilst walking along the gorse boundary a flock of winter thrushes flew over and landed in the trees on the church boundary. This meant I was at the furthest possible distance from them in the reserve! Well beyond the capabilities of my camera or my binoculars. Enlarged on screen to the point of being very fuzzy I think they were Redwings.

It wasn't good photographic weather - very dull and murky - but here is the bird list from my visit.

SC208694 Sparrowhawk; Wren; Blackbird; Robin; Chaffinch f. Great Tit
SC208695 2 x Redwings; 2 x Great Tit; Robin; Chaffinch; 2 x Goldfinch
SC209695 4 x Jackdaw; Pheasant m; Sparrowhawk in adjacent field
SC209694 3 x Long Tailed Tits; Dunnock; Great Tit.
SC209694 Robin
SC209693  10+  Winter thrushes ( Redwings?)

Flying over: large flocks of Winter thrushes, Wood Pigeons, Corvids

The row of Ashes now looking stark without their leaves

Reprieved!
Some of the Ash saplings were due to be felled to enable better growth
of the remainder. Recent arrival of Ash Die-Back disease on the Island,
 however, has altered the circumstances. Natural selection will now take
place and there might just be a resistant strain amongst them which
needs to be preserved.             
Fallen birch near the compost heap

the same birch

another casualty

close-up of the damage

minor damage to willow

another damaged birch

heavy rain has made the meadow pretty wet

always good to see what others have seen

thrushes on the church boundary

A  Redwing on the beehive loop in very bad light

another view of the same bird

spot the Long Tailed Tit

my only clear bird photo of the day!
With a sunny day forecast for Wednesday, I saved my recording visit for later in the week and headed home for a cup of tea!