Thursday 5 October 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 3rd October 2017

They say nature is red in tooth and claw and this was the case when I dropped into the reserve on Tuesday. There was a dead Water Rail near the hide ramp. I'll spare you the gruesome photos but these were sent off to our birding experts who reckon a Sparrowhawk was the most likely predator. It had indeed been plucked nearby and probably small mammals had also been enjoying the carrion. 

I'm told that at this time of year it may not necessarily be our resident Water Rail but could just be one passing through which met an untimely end - time will tell, I suppose. I have moved it from the path as it wasn't a very pretty sight.

Otherwise, there was just a Red Admiral butterfly, also near the hide. SC209694. I hope to do a full recording visit to the Reserve soon.