Thursday 28 June 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, 18th June 2018.

There has been so much going on at Ballachurry Reserve recently that I've not had time to write up  any of my visits or post the Work Party photos. I'm trying to catch up now in chronological order so this one goes way back to the 18th June.

This was not a recording visit but a trip to the hide to clear up the mess left by miscreants who had been smoking and drinking on the reserve and indulging in quite a bit of vandalism. I'll spare you the  photos of the mess ( taken the previous day) but suffice it to say copies went to the Police who later visited the Reserve themselves to see the havoc at first hand.

Somewhat saddened by this task, once I'd finished I allowed myself a brief walk round to cheer myself up. And cheered up indeed I was when I realised the Reserve was awash with Ladybird activity. Having scarcely seen a Ladybird during 2018,  suddenly the Reserve was awash with their larvae and pupae and even a few fresh new adults. (Newly emerged ladybirds start off quite pale and become more red as the day goes on)

The damp meadow area had several male Common Blue butterflies patrolling,  on the look out for females. However, the only female I saw was right over the other side of the Reserve on the path that runs parallel to the road.

There was a smallish black beetle ( about the size of a 7-spot Ladybird) in the grass  near the boardwalk.

I heard plenty of bird song - Willow Warblers, Sedge Warblers and a Chiffchaff -  but didn't manage to photograph any of them. They are well hidden by the leaves at this time of year. The duck on the pond didn't seem to mind my hammering and banging to put up a No Smoking notice  in the hide and was still there when I left.

SC 208694 3 x 7-spot Ladybirds and numerous larvae & pupae.
SC208694 4 + male Common Blue Butterflies.
SC209693 female Common Blue Butterfly.
SC208694. unidentified Black Beetle.
SC209694 Hybrid duck
SC209694 Pale Shouldered Brocade Moth in Hide  NEW RECORD
Hybrid female duck 

Pale Shouldered Brocade
( thanks to Ian Scott for ID)

will try to identify this small beetle

a female Common Blue butterfly

 7-spot larva on the right, 2 x pupae on the left

Ladybird larvae are very beneficial in the garden
Please don't squidge!

ladybird pupa

and the finished article!
My next visit was on 20th June, armed with a proper notebook, binoculars and camera - but I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little bit longer for that one!