Monday 23 July 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, 24th June 2018, Work Party.


We don't often have work parties on a Sunday but Saturday 23rd June was the Parish Walk this year. The commotion round Rushen Church would have made it tricky for us to access the reserve so we delayed until the Sunday. My grateful thanks to the 8 volunteers who came along to cut back the luxuriant vegetation and make the paths passable again. Also to all those people on the reserve list who were willing to come along the following day if necessary to finish the job. In the event they were not needed as we got everything done during the morning, including weeding the boardwalk.

We were blessed with good weather and enjoyed our picnic tea break out in the sunshine near Ginnie's bench. Often the break takes place near the hide but when I arrived a little earlier in the morning to take out the tools and the first aid kit I discovered we had a wasp nest in the tool shed. It was directly above the first aid box, in fact, and I withdrew it rather gingerly! No problems, fortunately and no first aid needed!  As wasps generally enjoy picnics we decided to settle elsewhere on this occasion. At the end of the Work Party I went back to the tool shed to return  everything to its place. This time opening the door caused  several wasps to fly out at me angrily and I beat a hasty retreat! In fact, I took the tools and the first aid box home with me.  This made me realise that we needed to have the nest destroyed - a decision not taken lightly as they are beneficial insects and generally welcome elsewhere on the reserve. My thanks to Reserves Officer, Tricia Sayle, for organising this and to Pest Control for coming down so promptly.

During the tea break someone reported that there was a Grey Heron on the hide roof so I hot-footed down there with my camera. It looked like a young one but stayed long enough for us to admire it and get a photo. ( SC209694)

Other wildlife noted during the morning:

Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler & Chiffchaff heard but not seen. SC208694
Blackbird SC209694
2 x Chrysomelid beetles SC208694 & SC209694
SC209695 Hawthorn Shieldbug
SC208694 7-spot Ladybird larva & pupa.

I did not manage to get many work photos this time as I was doing battle on the bridge with Hemlock Water Dropwort, but believe me everyone was well stuck in all morning and deserved their half time break.


starting work on one of the overgrown paths

good to straighten up the back sometimes and catch up on news

well deserved rest
our thanks to the Kellys for providing refreshments even though
they couldn't come to the work party themselves
 
a lovely day for a picnic
with delicious cakes and tea

bridge passable again

paths spruced up


pristine looking boardwalk

paths recently mown too

thanks to our invisible volunteer, Stan Clucas

Heron on the roof

we managed to get very close without disturbing it

Chrysomelid beetle - probably Chrysolina banksi
the black in the centre is the reflection of my camera!

another one, also banksi I think

7-spot Ladybird pupa

7-spot Ladybird larva

it was quite a shock to see this when I opened the door!
A very successful work party to keep the paths open during the summer. 
Apologies for the late posting of the photos. You can click on them to enlarge. Clicking on the enlarged photo makes a slide show.