Saturday 1 December 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, 30th November 2018


( Click to enlarge photos, then click again to move through them)

view from the hide
I didn't make it down to the Reserve until 2.30 on Friday and there was a "big, black cloud over Bill's mother's" as my mother used to say. So my hopes were not very high. I did manage to get once right round the reserve before the rain started but then had to hot-foot it to the hide with my camera and bins. stuffed down my cagoule in order to keep them dry. The shower lasted about half an hour and was really heavy at times. Once it slackened  I decided to make a dash for the car but then suddenly I heard the Water Rail. Not the squealing pig sound but a steady chip chip. So I waited. The calls went on for about 10 minutes then suddenly out of the rushes erupted not one but two Water Rails! There was a terrific skirmish. This happened 3 times before one of them disappeared into the reeds and was seen no more. There was then another call but whether of submission or victory I know not. All was quiet again and after an interval I again decided to leave, only to be stopped in my tracks by the victorious Water Rail emerging from the rushes to feed. There was a lot of foliage  between me and the bird so the views were not great and photographs impossible. However, I felt my visit had been more than worthwhile.

Here is the complete list:

Birds:

SC210694 2 x male Blackbirds together.
SC208694 ( compost heap) 2 x Blue tits; Robin;
SC208694 ( near boardwalk) Water Rail heard from the reed bed ( was this a third?); Pheasant; 2 x Blackbird; Blue tit.
SC208695 ( beehive loop) Great tit
SC209694 ( from hide) Robin;  2 x Water Rail; 2 x Blue tit; Great tit; male Blackbird.
SC209694 ( gorse boundary) 2 x Magpie

Other:

SC210694 the garden escape Oxalis by the gate has flower buds ( in November!)
SC210694 stinking iris seed pods starting to open

Notes:

I was anxious see to see if the reserve had suffered any damage in the recent stormy weather. A dead branch of the Elder has come down and a small Hawthorn near the compost heap appears to be leaning over rather more than usual. The debris on the boardwalk suggests that the stream had been over flowing and near the path junction the wood chip had been pushed to one side by a flow of water. Ginnie's bench had blown over. I left it as more wind forecast.


Blackbird - possibly a winter visitor

"Any chance of a work party today?"
The robin flew down as soon as it saw me - work parties
turn up insects for the robins to eat.

still some blue sky left in this direction

looking back towards the reed bed
water rail heard at this point

the reeds near the boardwalk

and the reed bed near the hide

heavy shower seen from the hide

it was quite prolonged
defeated water rail heading for cover

the damp meadow looking more damp than usual

Oxalis coming into bud

these fungi ( Lepista flaccida) seem to be long lasting

nest now visible in the bushes

looking back to the hide from the end of the willow walk

... and across the damp meadow


debris suggests stream has been overflowing

Ginnie's bench had blown over in the strong winds

dead branch down in the storm

wood chip moved by water flow

stinking iris berries

about 4 p.m and time to go home