Thursday 6 December 2018

Ballachurry Reserve. 4th December 2018



December at Ballachurry Reserve

I had no plans to visit Ballachurry on Tuesday but, having heard the 7 a.m. weather forecast, I decided it was now or never. The rest of the week sounded dreadful and so it has proved to be. So 9.30 saw me down at the Reserve, watching a solitary Chough fly over as I walked through the gate. A good omen I thought, as indeed it was. Here  is what I saw:

Birds:

SC210694  Chough flying over
SC209694 ( Ginnie's Bench area) Wren; Robin; Blackbird;
SC209694 ( path junction) Song Thrush; Blackbird
SC209693 Blackbird & Robin heard not seen
SC209694 ( Hide) 3 x Mallard flying away; Redpoll x 2; Water Rail feeding;  2 x Great tit; Snipe feeding.
SC208694 ( compost area) Robin; 3 x Blue tit together;  25+ Goldfinch flying over;
SC209695 ( private entrace area) Dunnock; Great tit; 3 x Blue tit together; 2 x Chaffinch;
SC209694 ( gorse boundary) 3 x Blackbird
SC208693 ( on church boundary) 5 Redwings; 10 Goldfinch.

Other:

SC209693Lawn daisies in flower along path + fungus ( Scurfy Twiglet?)
SC208694 Red Campion in flower.

I had made straight for the Hide where my approach ( however stealthy) unfortunately put up the Mallards. Having opened a shutter I was amazed to see  a couple of unpeturbed Redpolls directly opposite taking Willow Herb seed, shortly followed by the Water Rail  which appeared  in just the same area as last Friday. I watched it for some time, hoping it might come out to an area without any intervening vegetation where I might get a better photograph . Then I suddenly noticed a movement in the Brooklime - a small dark head, could there be a second Water Rail? I found it through the binoculars and was delighted to find myself looking at a Snipe. Over the years I have put up quite a few when walking round the Reserve but this is the first time I've had a good view of one down in the pond. I couldn't believe my good luck to be watching a Snipe and a Water Rail at the same time! Time was ticking away, however, and if I wanted to walk round the rest of the Reserve I had to tear myself away. I returned to the hide just before leaving and was surprised to find both birds still there so started clicking away with the camera once more. The Snipe became bolder and started walking around more, crossing the pond to the area of bright green weed opposite ( this is the infamous New Zealand Pygmy Weed!). It was feeding as it went but then suddenly decided to fly off. That was my own cue to leave too. One of my best visits ever to Ballachurry Reserve, I would say ( though unfortunately marred by finding quite a bit of litter round the front of the hide - reported to the Police)

it seemed slightly odd to see both Lawn Daisies and Fungi
growing together in December

a close look at the Fungi which are growing on the
underlying wood chip - Scurfy Twiglet again I think.

Red Campion is also still in bloom here and there

A small flock of Redwings landed in the trees on the
Church boundary - very much in silhouette though

Lovely to see Redpolls on the Reserve

The cheeky Robin flew down beside me
 as soon as I appeared again

it seemed very tame, getting closer and closer to me

someone's garden Robin, I reckon.

I watched the Water Rail for nearly an hour

an unusually still day, I could see its reflection

alternately feeding and hurrying back into the rushes

I just kept taking photo after photo

the view through binoculars was much better

here you can see the position of both birds together

my first view of the Snipe

I think it had been there some time before I noticed it

keeping a wary eye skywards from time to time

it too was feeding

a good view of its cryptic plumage

 I also took some video footage of the Snipe which I hope to post
on the Blog later
finally it emerged into the open and I saw the entire bird

out on the Pygmy Weed it continued to feed

that long bill must probe down a long way

as you can see in this photo

I'm now so glad that the appalling weather forecast for the rest of the week 
got me out of bed early and down to the Reserve!


P.S. My husband went down to the Reserve late afternoon  and the Water Rail was still there.