Tuesday 18 August 2020

Ballachurry Reserve, 17th August 2020.

   I postponed my trip to the reserve until the afternoon on Monday as the wet morning was not too inviting. I was there just before three and it took the usual half hour to check each small mammal trap and make sure there was food and dry bedding in each. (See previous post) I then decided to spend 10 minutes in the hide before heading for home. All was quiet on the pond and I was about to leave when suddenly the rain restarted, so I settled in to wait for the shower to pass. Two hours later it was till raining!  Was I down hearted? No! Definitely not.  There was suddenly a lot of bird activity and I had a great afternoon bird watching, although the elusive Water Rail did not put in an appearance. I think many of these small birds are now on passage back to warmer climes. Here are a few photos of what I saw. Starting with a video of the Blackbirds pillaging Rowan berries. There were at least 4 different Blackbirds during the afternoon.

Spoilt for choice

where shall I start?

 very tasty

moulting into adult plumage

 markings very distinctive

At least 4 Willow Warblers there at the same time, often flying round in pairs. They were coming and going all afternoon.










It was a treat to see Blackcaps on the Reserve. I didn't manage to photograph a male although I saw one twice.

 female Blackcap

male and female together

Next to appear, a juvenile Whitethroat


Also noted, 

blurry record shot of Great Tit

juvenile Robin

Grey Heron flying over

Also seen on the reserve before the rain started:

SC209693 Speckled Wood butterfly

SC209694 Green Shieldbug nymph

SC209693 More Moth Pupae on rushes ( to be identified) 

                   


 

I am resolved to visit the reserve in the rain more often! So much to see!