Wednesday 19 August 2020

Ballachurry Reserve, 18th August 2020.

an Angelica forest among the Willows
 

Tuesday was my final day of visiting the Reserve to bait the Longworth  small mammal traps  before MWT Education Officer, Dawn, visited Ballachurry in the evening to set them. All was in order and once baited I took a quick walk round the reserve. Quick because once more it was starting to rain.  I was amazed at the height of the Angelica under the willows which was giving the shady area a jungly feel. Lurking in the shadows I spotted the green eyes of a local cat, adding to the illusion!

I made for the hide as the rain became heavier but did not see the large numbers of birds of the day before. I think the autumn migration is already underway for these small warblers and they  were just feeding up before moving on.  I did see a pair of Willow Warblers though and  4 blackbirds were still taking the berries. A Mallard was out on the pond and the juvenile Moorhens were still about  too. 

lovely weather for ducks!

Mallard

Willow Warbler 
male Blackbird


2 juvenile Blackbirds
some of the Angelica is taller than I am

we are not the only ones trying to catch mice on the Reserve

I did not stop long in the hide today and braved the rain back to the car and home for a nice cup of tea. I am now looking forward to seeing what if anything turns up in the traps tomorrow morning.