Saturday 18 March 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 16th March 2017.



Reserve seen from the road

Well, I didn't expect to be updating the Blog quite so soon after my visit last Monday. My recording visits are generally just once a week, but I've learnt that it is always prudent to have my binoculars and camera handy when I drop in to the Reserve just to put up notices or check on conditions ahead of Work Parties etc. On Thursday I was doing just that, checking the strimmed areas etc. ahead of the (now cancelled ) Work Party.

The rain had just stopped and, just like me, everything was suddenly out and about again. No butterflies, ladybirds etc. of course, but there seemed to be birds everywhere. Here is the list:

SC209694  ( path junction) Dunnock; 2 x Great Tit.
SC208694 ( path through willows) male Reed Bunting; 2 x Goldfinch; Robin;  2 x Chiffchaff;  3 x Blue Tit; 2 x Great Tit; Wren.
SC209694 ( from Hide) Chiffchaff; Great Tit; Wren; Water Rail; Wood Pigeon. Mallard flying over.
SC208695 ( old beehive loop) Chiffchaff; Wren.
SC209695 (near stream inlet) Blackbird.
SC210694 ( near entrance) Chaffinch heard but not seen.

I couldn't believe my luck - all within 45 minutes! How wonderful to see the Chiffchaffs back! They seemed very tame,  flitting through the willows very close to me but not stopping long anywhere. The Reed Bunting was a bonus too, but unfortunately I wasn't quick enough with the camera. The Water Rail appeared from along the stream but headed into the vegetation before reappearing briefly in the reeds at the back of the pond. Not the best of photos but good to see it nonetheless.

A brief view of the Water Rail before it vanished into the reeds.

Chiffchaff in willows

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

The Marsh Marigold bud photographed on Monday had opened

Blue Tit having a stretch
Wren walking on water!

Wren: when I grow up I want to be a Water Rail