Monday 13 November 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 13th November 2017. Impromptu visit!

4 o'clock and the light is fading fast
I had to pass Ballachurry this afternoon and despite the fact it was raining called in to put up a poster on the noticeboard advertising Manx Wildlife Trust's Beetle Drive at Port St. Mary ( see previous post). I also had some leaflets promoting  how to become a Friend of Manxbirdlife so headed for the Hide with those. I opened a shutter on the off-chance and was pleased to see the juvenile Moorhen again over on the left hand side of the pond. But then a movement caught my eye off to the right and I was just in time to see the Water Rail disappear into the reeds. Fortunately I have learnt never to visit the Reserve without binoculars and camera, even if I am just "popping in", so quickly unloaded them from my rucksack where they were keeping dry from the rain. I had to wait a few minutes but then the Water Rail emerged again. This was about 3.30 and the light was fading fast. My camera was urging me " raise the flash", something I clearly had to ignore, but I did manage to get photos of both the Rail and the Moorhen. The Water Rail soon headed back into the reeds but I left the Moorhen pulling up the water weed, searching for something to eat. Outside the rain had stopped so I took the long route back to my car and was rewarded by the sight of a few more birds on the way.

SC209694 Water Rail; juvenile Moorhen.
SC208694 Goldcrest x 2; Robin; Blackbirds m & f; Great Tit; Blue Tit. Chaffinch.
SC208695 Song Thrush; 2 x female Pheasants; Blue Tit.
Raven flying overhead.
out on the short grass near the old beehives loop


juvenile Moorhen out in the rain



good to see a Moorhen back at Ballachurry

Water Rail: So lucky to glimpse this elusive bird!
I know I've said it before, but I really should go bird watching in the rain more often!