Sunday 26 November 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 24th November 2017

heavy hail shower imminent

My plan on Friday was to call in at the Reserve to do some wildlife recording on my way home from lunch with friends  in Port Erin. I arrived at the gate in my car at around 1.30 and donned  wellies, cagoule and waterproof trousers. Immediately it started to rain! I got back into the car and listened to Classic FM for 5 minutes by which time the shower had blown over. I set off for the Hide but before I got there it had started to hail. I made it just in time as this was a prolonged heavy shower. I amused myself by taking photos of the hailstones and the huge splashes coming up from the pond. No trace of any wildlife, of course. Eventually the sun emerged behind the Church  and peeping though the Hide door I was pleased to see a rainbow.

Shower finally over, I set off round the reserve. It was freezing cold and I told myself one lap would be sufficient then home for hot tea. However, just as I was thinking of leaving the birds began to appear- preening wet feathers and seeking out the odd ray of sunshine. So, with fingers and toes somewhat numb with cold, I stayed on. So glad that I did as the visit eventually proved quite rewarding.

Birds:

SC210694 Hooded Crow; 2 x Jackdaw;
SC209694 ( from Hide) juvenile Moorhen; Water Rail; 2 x Chaffinch; Blue Tit; Song Thrush; juvenile Blackbird; Robin
SC209694  ( direct path to Hide)Wren; Song Thrush; Great Tit; Robin
SC209694 ( gorse boundary) 2 x Wren
SC208694 female Blackbird; 2 x Snipe; 2 x female Pheasant; 2 x Blue Tits in the reedbed hanging on to the reeds; 2 x Chaffinch; Robin; Wren; Blue Tit on the compost; Great Tit; Goldfinch;  Chiffchaff  on the compost.
2 x Wood Pigeon flying over. Several Herring Gulls flying over.

The Water Rail emerged at 2.50, (from exactly the same place as when last seen) on the right hand side of the pond, & made a quick dash across to the low reeds at the back of the pond. A few minutes later it emerged again further along the pond margin, flew across to the iris then walked up the bank and away out of sight.

The Chiffchaff was in the same  area as when I saw it a few weeks ago. Then it was in a tree, this time it was down on the compost heap itself.  I almost got a photo but as I pressed the shutter it moved to where a tree trunk was blocking my view! A Blue Tit was taking exception to its presence here at this time of year and giving it a hard time. In the end the Chiffchaff took the hint and flew away. A few do seem to overwinter with us these days - there was one on the Reserve last year too round about this time.

Other:

SC209693 unidentified fungus on the path
SC208694 fungus on the compost still very apparent
SC210694 Stinking Iris ready to shed seeds.
Rosehips throughout the reserve providing winter sustenance for the birds.

can you see the hail "Stair rods" ?
(who can remember stair rods?)

the splashes made by the hail were about 2" high

 hailstones

they made the ramp rather slippery

stormy sky
photo doesn't do the rainbow justice

pot of gold at Billakillowey

I was clearly in the wrong place for sunshine

stinking iris berries

a "record shot" of our elusive Water Rail

juvenile, I think

fungus on the path

fungi on the compost

vitamin C  for the birds

a rare ray of sunshine turned the reeds golden

Additional records from previous day when briefly at the Reserve (23rd November)

SC208694 Goldcrest; 2 Grey Heron flying over together.