Wednesday 20 December 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 15th December 2017

A beautiful December day at Ballachurry Reserve.

As the sun was shining when I drove back from Port Erin on Friday, I decided to call in the Reserve for a quick walk round. I didn't stay long so this is a short list.

Birds:

SC210694 No less than 6 Song Thrushes flew out of the ivy hedge one after the other as I entered the reserve. I continued seeing them throughout the reserve while I was there.  2 x Chough flying over.
SC209694 ( from Hide) juvenile Moorhen
SC208694 ( near the compost heap)  Chaffinch heard but not seen
SC208694 ( boardwalk) Wren
SC209694 ( gorse boundary ) ringed Blue Tit; Thrushes seen again; Dunnock; 2 x Great Tit;  Chaffinch; Robin.
SC208695 ( old beehive loop) Robin

Other:

SC210694 Stinking Iris berries making bright splash.
SC209693 Fungi still coming up along the path.
SC209695 Gorse in full flower

Stinking Iris - are the berries unpalatable to birds?

gorse in full flower

attractive fungi

the orchard boundary trees enjoying some low sun

Kirk Rushen through the reeds

Not the most flattering view of a Blue Tit!
 But the best one of its ring.
Unfortunately not quite good enough to read the number.

it was working its way through the branches looking for food

has it spotted something?

and another shot of the ring

one of 6 Song Thrushes

Three thin throstles flew through the thorny thicket!
or 6 in this case!

 down on the grass in front of Ginnie's Bench
just before I left

a cloudless winter sky 

hard to tear myself away,
but still hadn't written my Christmas cards!