Thursday 21 December 2017

Ballachurry Reserve, 20th December 2017

a rather murky afternoon with mist over the hills
I didn't start my walk round the reserve until  nearly 2.30 on Wednesday and already the light was fading. As I reached the Hide a solitary thrush flew over my head. It landed in one of the big boundary trees at the far side of the reserve (known as "the orchard") and even with binoculars I was struggling to see what it was at that distance. However, my camera is slightly better than my bins. and through the viewfinder I could make out the telltale patch of red! A Redwing! What a great start to the afternoon. Another solitary bird flew over my head a good 10 minutes later to join it. Then I spotted a third. Needless to say, by the time I'd walked over there to get a closer view they had gone. Fortunately I saw 6 of them later in the afternoon in the nearby Orchard ( seen from the Reserve but not in it) . Finally I spotted them again (or were they different ones?) this time in the trees on the Church boundary. Here is the full list:

Birds:

SC209695   3 x Redwing
SC209694 ( from Hide) Dunnock; Wren; 2 x Blue Tit; Robin heard but not seen. juvenile Blackbird; Wood Pigeon; 5 x Redwing. Chaffinch; flock of 16 Goldfinch
SC209694 Blackbird; Robin.
SC210694 Robin heard but not seen; large flock ( about 50) gulls flying over. Seemed to be Herring Gulls
SC208695  ( old Beehive loop) 2 x Great Tit; 2 x Blackbird; 2 x Chaffinch; Blue Tit; Wren;
SC209695 ( near private entrance to Orchard) Wren; Chaffinch; 4 x Long Tailed Tits;

Other:
SC209693 unidentified fungi
SC209694 unidentified fungi near the Hide ( not seen on this path before)
SC209694 water in ditch has turned orange - some form of algae?
SC209694 oak trees along the boundary path have open galls ( artichoke?)

fungus on path near the hide

on the path that runs parallel to the road

a nice frilly one!

2 Blue Tits seen from the Hide

closer view of one of them

probably a juvenile male? 

just a few of the gulls flying over

algae?

the whole tree is "decorated" with these attractive tufts -
remains of Artichoke Galls?

Distant Robin

The first Redwing I spotted, near the orchard entrance

One of 5 Redwings on the Church boundary
And finally.....
last year's Robin, but the sentiments are still the same.
Thanks to all the volunteers who have worked so hard throughout the year.