Tuesday 23 October 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, 22nd October 2018.

(Click photos to enlarge, click again to move through them)

an inviting prospect

It's not often I can visit the Reserve in the mornings, but on Monday I was there by 9.30 on a very bright and breezy day. And I really hit the jackpot!  Already thrilled to see my first Redwings of the season from the hide, I thought "I just need the Water Rail now to make it perfect" and instantly it appeared! I think it caught a movement from me though, as it immediately turned tail and went back into the reeds. However about 5 minutes later it reappeared and crossed directly across in front of the hide in a series of rapid short runs. It began feeding briefly along the right hand edge of the pond where it was difficult to see for intervening foliage then headed off down the stream towards the other reed bed. I just managed a photo before it vanished. Here is my full list:

Birds:

SC209694 ( hide) 7 x Redwings taking hawthorn berries opposite the hide.
                             Water Rail
                              2 x Chaffinch
                              Robin
                              2 x Goldfinch taking seed from Willowherb
                              male and female Blackbirds
                              Blue tit
                              large flock of Goldfinch flying over.
SC210694 ( entrance) Magpie flying over
SC209693  I missed a very "cute" photo of a Robin sitting on the wheel of an upturned barrow.
SC208694 ( compost area) Robin; Goldcrest.
SC209694 ( end of willows path) female Blackbird; Song Thrush; Dunnock; Robin

Other:

SC210694 Ivy attracting flies and wasps
SC208694 Noon and other flies on wooden hand rail
SC208694 Flies and wasp on oak leaves in sunshine.
SC209694 Lots of fungi still on the woodchip path.

my patience rewarded!
Water Rail.

Redwing taking Hawthorn berries

one of 7

I just kept on clicking


spoilt for choice

autumn colour from the birch trees

Robin checking out the new compost heap

and another in the willows

Song Thrush

Goldfinch with Great Willowherb seed head

fungi in the woodchip

Gorse Shieldbug

flies enjoying the sunshine
Noon Fly and friend  

another Noon Fly on oak leaf

spider in the gorse

a closer look at spider and web

wasp on Oak leaf

oak turning colour too

our recently mown and raked meadow

morning sunshine

 Phragmites reeds looking silvery, back-lit by sunshine
sadly, time to go.