Tuesday 9 October 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, 9th October, 2018.

A big thank you to Tricia Sayle and her muckers who were at Ballachurry today mowing  the two meadow areas and preparing them for our own work party in a couple of weeks time. The machinery was  a bit too noisy for me to make my thanks heard but I hope they took my 👍 as I left to mean just that.

This mowing regime over the past few years is starting to make a difference and the flowers are spreading, bringing in the butterflies, especially Common Blues and Small Coppers. Other invertebrates are also benefiting as was apparent at the recent Spider Identification Workshop.

So today's efforts by these Manx Wildlife Trust regulars is very much appreciated.

Incidental records from 8th October while briefly visiting the Hide, SC209694
Moorhen
Great Tit
Wood Pigeon drinking from the pond
Kestrel
Water Rail - just as I spotted it the Kestrel flew over quite low and the Rail fled for cover making an alarm call. The Kestrel made a second pass over the pond.

Incidental records today, 9th October, noted while talking to Tricia
SC209694 Grey Heron flying over low; female Mallard on pond.
SC208694 small frog on boardwalk