Thursday 12 April 2018

Ballachurry Reserve, Work Party, 11th April, 2018.



From this....

......to this
in half an hour!
We had 7 volunteers on Wednesday afternoon to finish spreading the wood chip and it took just 30 minutes! Here's how :








 Notices were also put in place requesting people to keep to the paths, as we are now into the  ground nesting birds season.
I stayed on a bit longer to cut and plant some willow in the path which used to lead off from the bridge ( now removed) I've placed them too close together at present in order to weave a temporary barrier through them. Not all these cutting will "take",  so some natural thinning will occur over the next few months.


I wasn't really on the look-out for wildlife while working but did spot that the Marsh Marigolds were coming into flower at last ( SC209694)


and these 2 birds caught my eye ( SC209694)
Dunnock on left, Wren on right.

I can't work with binoculars round my neck and I only had my small pocket camera, so had no idea what they were until I  got home and could take a look on screen. They both persistently looked left together. On site I thought they were a pair but the  right hand one looks like a Wren and I'm not sure about the other. Answers on a postcard please... (Thanks to Neil Morris, manxbirdlife.im for I.D. see photo caption)

Many thanks to the Magnificent Seven for turning up to finish this job. We'll be taking a rest now after all this concentrated work and I'll be back in touch regarding the next work party some time in May.